In what was surely the strangest prelude to New Purpose 2 season in a while, Bungie Surprise revealed Season of the Haunted last night after it accidentally leaked ahead of Tuesday’s premiere and some important things are happening. The giant Cabal ship from the first raid returns, communicating with the evil pyramid on the moon, and now the nightmares return. To combat these new threats, players will receive a long-awaited rework of their Solar 3.0 abilities and an Exotic Return-On-Intruder sidearm. Purpose 1‘s The formation of iron expansion. His very. Let’s break it down in detail.
First, story preparation. Calus has returned, his ship Leviathan is corrupt, and he tries to talk to the pyramid on the moon to gain access to the powers of Darkness. We recently heard of a dethroned emperor experimenting with Contempt (Omen) and broadcasting propaganda to gather more cabal for your side (Dark voice). Now, it seems his latest plan has unleashed a new set of nightmares, including one that appears to have an old relationship with the Stoic Commander Zavala. Additionally, the HELM command center took to the air and is now orbiting the moon.
This is a suggestive and steeped in history backdrop for Season 17, but what exactly are players going to be doing and collecting this time around? Here is a list of new content to date:
- Free space of Leviathan: It looks like Calus’ gilded ship is full Metroid and is now a patrolling option for players.
- A restraining nightmare: a seasonal public event where players summon and destroy nightmares in the dungeon of Calus’ ship.
- Break off: Seasonal missions where players explore the Leviathan to discover Calus’ blueprint.
- Słoneczna 3.0: A complete overhaul of players’ Solar Skill Trees that adds Snippets and Aspects to suit Stasis and Void and add more customization options.
- Exotic intruder sidearm: Returning from Destiny 1, the Shiro-4’s precision explosive weapon was good at the time, but could have been tuned to be more deadly and fun based on how it is doing in the season 17 trailer.
- The menagerie loot: The Calus, Beloved, Austringer and Drang mini-tool are back from the Season of Wealth Menagerie activity.
- Mysterious Dungeon: first of two new dungeons this year it launches on May 27 with Standard and Master difficulty.
- Some extremely metal ones fit: The Season Pass is back as always, but the armor ornaments look very cool this time, and I’m here for that.
Season 17 will also bring some other changes. In terms of weapon balance, the Glaives are gaining a big boost. A new type of weapon introduced in Queen of witches it was first OP and then nerfed into the ground. Moving on, they should be more useful again as Glaive’s melee attacks are stronger and trigger perks. Tracking rifles will also deal more damage, and changes to PvP should make aerial combat more profitable.
Other big changes are the rework of the Iron Banner. The power level will now be disabled (originally it was an entire mode point), rewards will be based on daily challenges, and the Bullet Rift will return with a new map. Meanwhile, Trials of Osiris will be getting a ton of new loot, though competitive PVP won’t return until June 10. hopefully it revolves around new business and grinding. Oh, and the player’s loot vault is growing 100 slots bigger.
Bungie has been extremely tight-lipped on this season’s disclosure, and has spent a lot of time in recent days arguing that it is one of the best games ever. At first glance, I’m intrigued, but not blown away. It’s great (and economical) see old content changed and i felt new again, but there is also something unusually Destiny about hunting a deity with a sniper rifle Beloved for the second time, while the older version with low power is still collecting dust in my vault.
We hope there are a few more surprises waiting for the opening cinematic and story mission of Haunted Season, to be shared later. It will last until August 23.