Luis Guillorme out for four to six weeks with groin strain

ATLANTA — The Mets learned Monday that they will be without one of their main infielders for much of the remaining season. However, they didn’t see that news as the impetus to call up top prospects Brett Baty or Mark Vientos.
Luis Guillorme is expected to miss four to six weeks with a moderate left groin strain, which will sideline him for at least half of the remaining regular season. To replace him, the team called up veteran infielder Deven Marrero from Triple-A Syracuse. Marrero, 31, is capable of playing at a high level at second base, third base and shortstop, which is why the Mets chose him over Baty or Vientos.
According to several people with knowledge of the situation, the Mets still aren’t comfortable with Baty or Vientos playing defense in the majors. One source went so far as to say that he doesn’t expect either prospect to appear in the majors this season.
“Of course it’s hard not [think about it], especially when you’re one step away right now,” Vientos, the organization’s fifth-ranked prospect according to MLB Pipeline, said last week in Syracuse. “But I’m just trying to focus on the little things.”
“If it happens, I would go there and do the same thing I’m doing here: do my day job and try to be the best baseball player that I can be for the team,” said Pipeline’s second-in-command Baty. Mets ranked prospect and MLB’s No. 18 overall prospect. “But right now, I’m not really focused on that. I’m just trying to get better.”
If the Mets are going to call up any prospect for offensive support down the stretch, it will most likely be catcher Francisco Alvarez, though that, too, is far from a certainty.
Unlike the division-rival Braves, who have received overall contributions from recent draft calls for Michael Harris II and Vaughn Grissom, the Mets view Baty and Vientos as leadoff prospects at this point in their careers. Their offensive profiles are legit: Baty entered Monday’s game slashing .364/.462/.364 in six games since earning a midseason promotion to Syracuse, after hitting 19 homers in 89 games at Double-A Binghamton. while Winds is slashing .274/.354/.517 at Syracuse. They are former first and second round draft picks, respectively.
But neither player is shaping up to be an elite defender at third base. The Mets have tried both first base and the outfield in hopes of finding permanent defensive homes for them.
Until that process develops further, team officials will sacrifice the offensive advantage of Baty o Vientos in favor of Marrero, a shortstop who started the season with the independent Long Island Ducks. Marrero signed with the Mets in late June and subsequently slashed .236/.325/.358 at Syracuse, playing three different infield positions. He has appeared in the Major Leagues for the Red Sox, D-backs and Marlins.
Mets officials consider it important to have solid defensive coverage, especially at shortstop, where Guillorme served as Francisco Lindor’s primary backup. Because the Mets use much of their 26-man roster on defensively limited platoon bats like Daniel Vogelbach and Darin Ruf, team officials fear being caught off guard in the event of an illness or injury to Lindor. While Eduardo Escobar is capable of playing shortstop in a pinch, he has been dealing with a left-side injury in recent days.
“We take everything under consideration,” manager Buck Showalter said, in what effectively amounted to no comment.
Regardless of the Mets’ roster decisions, the team will miss Guillorme, a standout three-position defender who was also slashing .283/.355/.357 in 86 games. Guillorme, who had recently moved into a platoon situation with Escobar at third, strained his groin running the bases in Sunday’s win over the Phillies. He won’t be back until at least early to mid-September, though the Mets remain hopeful that Guillorme can help them down the stretch.

Leave a Reply