After revealing just 23 named titles in July, Sega announced on Friday morning a full suite of 60 games that will be included in the limited supply of US Sega Genesis Mini 2 units starting October 27. However, beyond the usual retro suspects, this list includes a few games that were never released in any form, as well as some fresh arcade ports and Genesis titles with new features in their plug-and-play re-release.
These unpublished retro games include Devi and Piustitle designed by Audible 3 developer Takashi Iizuka. The “paddle game” looks like a crossroads Arkanoid and Shiny Sprite Starswith one or two players sliding back and forth to juggle the angels and avoid bouncing devils.
Genesis Mini 2 will also have its world premiere Mobile star, a game completed in 1992 by a little-known journeyman developer Mindware, but never released. The puzzle-packed gameplay is all about arranging stars on a carefully balanced mobile phone in a way that reminds us of the Topple table game.
In addition to these two never-before-seen titles, Genesis Mini 2 features several Sega arcade games that were first “ported” to Genesis-level hardware. They include:
- Fantasy zone: The cute and cozy side-scrolling shooter gets brought to Genesis by the same team that moved Dariusz on the first Genesis Mini, with a new Easy Mode that wasn’t found in showrooms.
- Space Harrier and Space Harrier II: While the sequel was already technically native to Genesis, these new ports use “modern technology” to provide a much smoother sprite scaling feature than was previously possible on 16-bit hardware (it’s unclear if these new ROMs can work on the standard Genesis).
- Spatter: A little-known maze game from 1984 in which a clown is riding a bouncing tricycle.
- Super locomotive: A 1982 railroad game that focused on changing tracks to avoid collisions.
- VS Puyo Puyo Sun: Competitive two-player exclusive “demo” of the third game in the popular color-matching puzzle series, with “new rules that are not in the original version”.
Other titles that were first released decades ago on Genesis are getting brand new features in their Genesis Mini 2 re-releases. These include:
- Hellfire: The Sega trailer discusses the indefinite “Genesis new features and options”.
- Overtake: The four in-game radio stations will now include ‘new [music] works that were not included in the original. “
- Fantasy star II: The classic RPG now features “adjustable speed of movement and a new easy mode”.
- Rainbow Extra Islands: “Bonus Mode” with New Enemies makes its first appearance in North America.
- Truxton: Includes a new option to play background music “at original arcade speed”.
Neither of these titles or additions can have sheer shelf star power Star Fox 2 which finally appeared in the Super NES Classic Edition. Still, together, they show a certain level of care and attention to detail on Sega’s part, which goes far beyond throwing some ROMs onto a cheap emulation box.
The full list of titles available on the Sega Genesis Mini is below (titles previously announced in July are marked with *).
- After burner II *
- Alien Soldier *
- Atomic runner
- Bonanza brothers *
- The Clay Warrior
- Century Crusader
- Desert Strike: Return to the Bay
- Jim the earthworm 2
- Elemental Master
- Deadly Fury 2
- Gain ground
- Golden Ax II
- Prince two
- Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar *
- The resistance at midnight
- Runway *
- OutRunners *
- Fantasy star II
- Rainbow Extra Islands
- Rolling Thunder 2 *
- Shadow Dancer: Shinobi’s Secret
- Shining Strength II
- Shining in the dark
- 3D sound explosion *
- Splatterhouse 2 *
- The Streets of Wrath 3
- Super Hang-On
- Super Street Fighter II: New Challengers
- Sludge *
- Revenge of the Shinobi
- ToeJam and Earl panic at Funkotron
- Vectororman 2 *
- Virtua Racing *
- War Song
Sega CD titles
- Ecco the dolphin (CD version)
- Ecco: Tides of time (CD version)
- Final fight CD
- Mansion of the Hidden Souls *
- Night Striker *
- Night Trap
- Robo Aleste
- Sewer shark
- Shining Force CD *
- Silpheed *
- Sonic Hedgehog CD *
- Ninja warriors *
New ports and / or previously unpublished titles
- Devi and Pius
- Fantasy zone *
- Space Harrier II (and Space Harrier)
- Star Mobile *
- Super locomotive
- VS Puyo Puyo Sun
Ars Technica can get rewarded for selling from the links in this post through affiliate programs.