Four nuts to help eliminate metabolic syndrome

The ever-increasing prevalence of obesity across the country has given rise to a disturbing new statistic. According to the American Heart Association, “metabolic syndrome is a serious disease that affects about 23 percent of adults.” This health crisis represents a constellation of unhealthy conditions that significantly increases the risk of developing life-threatening diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. Today, we’ll take a closer look at how eating nuts can reduce your risk of harm.

To put it another way: One in four Americans now faces a dramatically shortened lifespan, and even the possibility of sudden premature death, due to a condition that, to a large extent, it is avoidable. As with so many other modern conditions that endanger our health and well-being, lack of physical activity and a diet high in processed foods, trans fats and refined sugars are the main culprits of metabolic syndrome.

Discover the “reverse version” of this unwanted health problem

New research shows that increasing consumption of certain natural, unprocessed foods, namely “tree nuts” such as Brazil nuts, cashews, almonds and walnuts, can help reverse the disease. Naturally, you might wonder how nuts help those who suffer from metabolic syndrome?

Markers of metabolic syndrome include low levels of beneficial HDL cholesterol, high levels of triglycerides, high blood sugar, high blood pressure, and central obesity or excess abdominal fat. A person suffering from any of these three conditions is considered to have metabolic syndrome.

According to a recent scientific review, eating brazil nuts, cashews and other tree nuts may reduce two different markers of metabolic syndrome: triglyceride and blood sugar levels. In an analysis recently published in the medical journal BMJ Openthe Dr. John Sievenpiper, a leading physician and researcher at the Center for Risk Factor Modification and Clinical Nutrition at St. Michael, evaluated 49 randomized clinical studies with 2,000 participants.

Most studies involved patients adding 50 grams of nuts to their daily diet for eight weeks. Sievenpiper notes that nuts were more effective at lowering triglycerides and blood sugar when eaten in place of refined carbohydrates, and speculates that the nuts’ high levels of monounsaturated fat were partly responsible for the beneficial effect.

In fact, nuts are high in magnesium, which plays a role in insulin-mediated glucose uptake and also promotes glycemic control.

(sunnysun0803)

A wealth of clinical research supports the life-enhancing effects of nuts

Many studies and trials support the beneficial effects of nuts. In a recent review published in 2014 in the scientific journal PLoS Onethe authors noted that Diets containing nuts significantly reduced hemoglobin A1C and fasting glucose levelsthus improving glycemic control in people with type 2 diabetes and reducing the need for antihyperglycemic drugs.

Previous research has shown an association between increased nut consumption and reduced risk of heart disease, lower cholesterol, lower insulin resistance and reduced body fat. In a study published in the journal BioMed Central BMC Medicineresearchers found that people who ate nuts, especially nuts (more than three times a week), had a reduced risk of dying from heart disease and cancer compared to those who did not eat nuts.

Nut consumers reduced their overall mortality risk by 39 percent; people who preferred walnuts, with 45 percent lower overall death rates, fared even better. Regular nut eaters reduced their odds of dying from cardiovascular disease by a whopping 55 percent!

You can eat “healthy fats” and NOT get fat

As several studies have shown, nuts, although high in calories and fat, are not a “fattening” food per se. Several studies have shown that regular nut eaters tend to be thinner than those who do not eat nuts.

In one influential study, volunteers added a daily handful of almonds to their diet without making any attempt to cut calories or adjust food intake. Not only did they not add pounds; they actually lost modest amounts of weight.

The almonds seemed to cause the participants to automatically eat fewer carbohydrates, without consciously trying to do so. A weight loss technique that achieves results without conscious effort, isn’t that the dream of every dieter?

Vintage photo
(ALLEKO/iStock)

Healthy snacks that offer an impressive nutritional profile

In addition to their healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, including oleic acid, the same LDL-cholesterol-lowering fat found in olives and avocados, nuts contain healthy amounts of plant-based protein and dietary fiber, and are loaded with ‘various antioxidants, phytochemicals and phytosterols. Vitamin E, a fat-soluble vitamin that helps maintain the integrity of cell membranes, is found in nuts in good supply; Walnuts are especially rich in this nutrient that eliminates free radicals.

All nuts are extraordinarily rich in the essential minerals magnesium and potassium, as well as the trace elements selenium and manganese, which play a vital role in the production of glutathione peroxidase and superoxide dismutase, the body’s two main endogenous antioxidants.

Medical authorities are beginning to recognize the superior nutritional qualities of nuts.

The mainstream medical establishment is becoming convinced of what many natural health advocates and advocates of vegetarian and vegan diets have known all along: that nuts are nutritional powerhouses that can fight disease and promote health.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted all nuts a qualified health claim for reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, while medically recognized diets, such as the Mediterranean and DASH diets – Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension-, emphasize healthy amounts of trees. dried fruit.

Are there other nuts that help with metabolic syndrome?

Yes. While Brazil nuts, cashews, almonds and walnuts seem to be the most studied, chestnuts, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, coconuts, pistachios and pine nuts are also delicious and satisfying snacks that offer benefits for to similar health.

When you buy nuts, opt for those that are organically grown and free of pesticides and chemicals; avoid those that are very salty or sugary. Like any food, nuts have the potential for allergic reactions in those who are sensitive to them.

Of course, if you’re allergic to nuts, don’t eat them.

Whether you choose chewy and buttery cashews, creamy Brazil nuts, delicately flavored almonds or rich and satisfying macadamia nuts, you can be sure you’re eating one of nature’s most powerful foods, able to help reduce your risk of suffer from heart disease, diabetes and metabolic syndrome.

Reposted from NaturalHealth365

Sources for this article include:

Heart.org
scienceday.com
NIH.gov
scienceday.com
Nutrition-i-tu.com
Nutrition-i-tu.com

Leave a Reply